My husband Andrew, who began this blog in July 2011, died peacefully on September 3rd 2012, at the age of 83, following a sudden brief decline after long-term chronic illness. As I go through his notebooks, I come across pieces of writing which I'd like to share here. I'll date them when written, as far as I can ascertain (not all his scribblings are dated). At some point this blog will become an archive, without further additions. — Rosemary Nissen-Wade

Friday, July 8, 2011

Under the Ice

There were eight of them, eight men and one dog.

They were dropped onto the ice with the task of diving under the Pole and recording the temperatures and the condition of the ice packs.

It took four hours to travel just 30 kms. Conditions were not good and they were not moving fast enough. Conditions were dangerous with the ice packs breaking up. The National Geographic narrator said it was witness to a world that is coming to an end.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner.